"He must increase, but I must decrease."---John the Baptist
I've heard more than my share of religious sermons based on this text. Sermons that convey the message, "You dirty no-good sinner, you better decrease and get your unworthy self out of the way so Jesus can replace you with Himself."
If you're ever trapped in a church when that sermon is being preached, do yourself a favor and take a nap until it's over.
I see something different in those words. I see Jesus looking at a weary Christian who is struggling to keep all the rules, and I see a little grin begin on His face as He says, "I think I'll increase in this precious life."
And Jesus begins to expand His life into the heart and mind of the Christian who has been beaten down by religion. But at first it's a shock and a distress to the object of His workings........
Because as Jesus increases His scope of life, He crowds out the Christian's cherished rules and sacred cow beliefs and "I've always done it this way" thinking. Life shoves against dead religion.........and stirs up the dust in places the Christian never knew existed.
"I've lost my faith!", we cry! "I USED to believe (fill in the blank) and now I can't believe that anymore! What's happening to me? I can't feel God. I don't want to DO all the religious things I used to perform religiously. Woe is me, I am undone!"
Oh no, YOU aren't undone. In fact, you are coming alive, maybe for the first time in your Christian life. Alive with His life. No longer pretending that keeping rules can impart life to you. No longer satisfied with anything less than Jesus Himself.
His life is increasing........and your legalistic beliefs are decreasing. His light is overcoming the darkness that has bound you for years. His glory is breaking forth in you.
The real you, complete in Christ, is beginning to arise and shine. Sure, it's scary......but can I give you a word of hope?
Don't get stuck in the "decrease" aspect, grieving lost religious beliefs. No, experience instead the joy and freedom of increase. His life, Christ in you, one with you.
Now just live........ love........ rejoice........... soar.......... and don't be afraid of falling. OK?
Love in Christ,
Mickey
No comments:
Post a Comment