October 02, 2004

The Voice That Lies

A friend posted this the other day:

"What is the point? Where is God in this life? It all seems so deeply hopeless...... I put my hope in the wrong places, but I can't figure out the "right" place......My heart is hard. I don't feel love, tenderness, compassion....well, maybe for someone in a movie or a book; someone who isn't real and will never reach out to plunge a dagger in my heart. I don't want to stay here inside of me. I don't want to feel the things I feel. God, do you have any clue what the hell you are doing?"

In the past I would have bombarded my friend with Bible verses. "Here's some scriptures, cheer up, see ya!" A quick fix solution. Take it or leave it. Do these scriptures or suffer.

When I saw God's grace in Christ, I realized that religion's "quick fix" solutions only increase suffering.

Now I think I just want to ask my hurting friend, "Who told you that your heart is hard? Who told you these lies about yourself?"

I don't believe the "who" is a person or a demon spirit.

The lying "who" is that tormenting inner voice, created by years of religious programming. The voice that calls you names and tears you down and tells you that God is displeased with you.....and that you must try harder, do better, pray more, repent of something.....

The lying accuser in your mind. You defeat it by recognizing it and refusing to agree with the lies.

In truth, my friend has already placed her hope in the "right" Person, and He has already placed His life in her. He really does know what the hell He is doing! :)And the next time I'm listening to the lying accuser in my own mind, I bet Jesus will send someone along to ask me, "Who told you those lies about yourself?"

-Mickey

No comments: