September 21, 2004

This is reprinted from the Grace Pages. It's relevant to the theme of grace, and I thought it might set the ball rolling a bit here.
I wonder whether what we have traditionally called the parable of the Prodigal Son isn't really a parable about a foolish father?

God always seems to be doing foolish things like forgiving sinners and welcoming good-for-nothings into the kingdom while the truly deserving are left only to stomp off and pout because their efforts haven't been recognized. Perhaps most foolishly he let himself be humiliated upon a cross, forgiving his executioners even while he hung there, and inviting a common criminal into Paradise as one of his final, dying acts.

If we were there with that foolish father after he'd let his son get away with robbery and making an unholy show of the entire family, I wonder what we'd say? We'd probably be warning him not to let himself be taken for a ride again. We'd probably be rolling our eyes at what just happened, and cautioning him against welcoming the ungrateful bastard back. I wonder what we'd do when we saw that idiot running out to fetch his son the moment he glimpsed him? Frankly, I think we'd just write him off as one hell of an idiot to put himself back in the same situation as if he hadn't learned his lesson the first time.

It was even worse back in ancient times. Upholding the honour of the family was everything, and the minute the father allowed himself to be walked all over by his sons, he'd made an utter clown of himself, bringing shame upon his family. As if it weren't fiasco enough that he'd lost face in front of the entire community when his son absconded with the family fortune, he risked everything again by running out to greet his son when he ran out of funds and returned home. What a hundred-percent bona fide sucker. What a fool.

It's rather strange that against all our religious instincts, God doesn't mind making an idiot of himself. That's actually quite good news, because the chances of making it in the kingdom with a God who doesn't mind looking a total clown aren't altogether bad. I consider myself pretty fortunate I serve a foolish God.
-Dave

No comments: