For most of my Christian life, I thought He did. Live in the Bible. After all, God had dictated every word of it, hadn't He?
Never once did I wonder if my church's interpretations of the Bible were true. It was a foregone conclusion that we were right and everyone else was.......deceived. Or just ignorant.
When I became part of the Word of Faith movement, I learned that Jesus and the Bible are the same entity. The WORD. As long as I had my Bible, communicating with Jesus on a day-to-day basis was hardly necessary. He was locked up in the holy book, wasn't He? All I had to do was follow the correct faith formulas and someday in heaven I'd see Jesus.
Bibliolatry is what it was. Worshipping the Bible rather than worshipping God. What freedom to finally understand that the Bible is human rather than divine in origin, to realize that God doesn't live in a book, to know that His grace is far greater than our narrow-minded pronouncements of "the BIBLE says......."
God didn't give us a book. He gave us Himself in the person of Jesus Christ.
Oddly, when I exalted the Bible, people called me a good Christian. But now they call me a heretic. LOL!
Love,
Mickey
No comments:
Post a Comment