Ever notice how religion often uses the same technique to market Jesus as a salesman might employ to sell you a used car?
"Jesus loves you just as you are. His grace will save you if you only believe. Salvation is a free gift."
Ah yes....but as soon as you sign on the dotted line to buy that extraordinary low-mileage, barely-driven car........or raise your hand in response to an altar call.......you begin to learn the rest of the story. The fine print of the contract. Shoved in front of your nose by the car salesman or by other Christians.
"Did I mention that the tires, engine, and gas tank for this car are additional charges? And the interest rate for your ten years of monthly payments is 45%?"
Sounds as ridiculous as the fine print in the "Christian" contract: "Yes, your salvation is free BUT you need to follow these rules if you want to be a GOOD Christian. Jesus loves you IF you stop sinning and get your act together. AND you need to prove your love for Jesus by obeying the commandments in the Bible."
Most of us wouldn't fall for the fine print in the car salesman's contract; we'd recognize that someone was lying to us. I wonder why it's so easy to fall for the legalism that distorts the gospel of grace? And why we allow the traditions of men to add pages of fine print to the glorious gospel of God's grace to us in Christ?
The Christian life isn't a contract between God and us. It's a gift of His grace, and there's no fine print to trick us.
In fact, if we could look at our own hearts, I think we'd see written in big bold letters, "I am Jesus Christ, and I am your life."
I think He took every fine-print contract that religion ever produced and nailed them all to the cross.
It doesn't get much better than that, does it?
Love and grace to you,
Mickey
No comments:
Post a Comment