January 12, 2005

"Bake Cookie Dough Before Eating"

No kidding. I just read this on the back of a package of refrigerated chocolate chip cookies, the kind that come in little squares and you bake them and pretend they were homemade. "Bake cookie dough before eating."

At first I felt fear, the same sort of anxiety I experienced as a child when I noticed the mattress tag on my bed. "Do not remove under penalty of law." At first I was tempted to rip the tag off to see if armed policemen would show up at my house......but then I figured my parents would be too upset if we were raided.

I decided, with much fear and trembling, that I needed to carefully preserve that tag from all harm, even though I had no idea WHY it could not be removed. It just looked so...official.....that obeying the rule seemed the wisest thing to do.

Now, years later, this cookie dough warning makes me angry. If I want to eat the whole package of raw cookie dough, whose business is it? Will I lose my salvation? Do the mattress tag police also double as the cookie dough police? Will I be better person if I eat baked cookies rather than raw cookie dough?

Well, the law did what it was intended to do...it stirred up sin. I ate two of the little raw squares and baked the other seventeen of them.

Jesus has set us free from mattress tag laws, cookie dough laws........and religious laws. Isn't it great to rip off the mattress tags, gobble the raw cookie dough......and live in the freedom of our faith in Christ?


Love,
Mickey

No comments: